"Crocheting acts as a mental and physical therapy and there are many beautiful things that are created in the process.” – Today’s Crochet World

Friday, January 20, 2012

For the love of crochet

I have loved crochet since I was little.  I always remember watching my grandma with hook in hand stitching afghans for a new grand baby.  Lord knows she had plenty.  When I got older I asked her if she would show me a thing or two.  She was always so patient trying to teach me seeing as she was right handed and I was left.  I learned the basics from her then later on in life I made myself learn to read patterns so I could make some of those beautiful afghans that I saw in books.  Afghans are my thing.  I love making them, I think it's because growing up it seemed like no matter whose house you went into their was a handmade afghan proudly displayed on the back of a couch.  You really don't see it so much anymore.  I sometimes feel like I'm on a mission making afghans and giving them as gifts to as many people as possible.  A house just always feels more like home with a handmade afghan hanging on the back of a couch or chair.  
Sometimes I find myself making an afghan with no one in particular in mind, but they always end up being for a specific person.  I find that when your finished their is almost always a story attached to it.  
There is nothing more comforting than wrapping yourself in an afghan that someone has put time and thought into making for you.  I think that's why I fell in love with crochet before I even knew how.

No comments:

Post a Comment